Sunday, January 21, 2024

Back home to Ruhsa





Balaji and family 


Rani, Indra, Priya and me

Back home to Ruhsa

By Friday afternoon we’d seen the doctors, nurses, physios and collected drugs, paid the bill and were ready to wave goodbye with many thanks for 9 days of excellent care. It was good to be back at the guest house and no longer to be being disturbed by medical personnel carrying out procedures at very regular intervals throughout the night and day!! Andy’s leg is still very painful so walking is difficult. 

Saturday 

On Saturday the visits from concerned friends began. Balaji arrived before 8 with a bowl of payassam, Andy’s favourite, which he now seems determined to bring every day. Then at 12.00 Rani, Priya and Indra arrived, with flowers for my hair (9 days no flowers!!) and then sent Balaji off on his bike to fetch cake for us. ( They had arrived on two bikes, Indra’s and Balaji’s) 

It transpired that Balaji had sent a photo of Andy in hospital to Rani in which he looked ghastly, so they had all been really worried about him. They were much relieved to see him looking more in the pink. I reassured Rani that I’d spoken to Ruth and would speak again to Dr Biswajit about the issues re funding/ equipment at the school. I promised I’d go to school on Monday in time for lunch. 

Later that afternoon Balaji’s third visit to us, this time with the family. So lovely to see them, and so pleased I could offer them cake! For once me offering food, rather than having it pressed upon me! 

Sunday 

Just one visitation today, from Balaji and his daughter Subashri, to bring us payassam of course, plus some fried fish. I had made the mistake yesterday of mentioning that we like fish! Subashri greeted us with kisses then put flowers she’d brought specially in my hair. 




We ate our lunch and I was so pleased that Subashri accepted to eat some of what we had, since the canteen always sends far too much for us. 

Afterwards Balaji asked her to wash up. I joked ‘ child labour’ but he corrected me ‘ training’. She is such a delightful girl, a real credit to the family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment