Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Last day. There will be tears…

 Monday 22nd January

KVK bakery 

I knew today was going to be emotional because emotions are never far below the surface whilst we are here, and today I’d be saying goodbyes. Because of our unscheduled 9 days in CMC we had failed to get to lunches with several families in Seetarampet so I wanted at least to go and see them to say hello and goodbye. I began however at Pachaikili school where I was bidden for lunch. 

Needless to say Balaji was my trusty guide in all this, arriving in his friend’s auto to collect me from the guest house. On the way we called at a rather enticing looking bakery to buy a large cake for me to give to the elderly, the children and the staff at Pachaikili as a small thank you. Cake is always appreciated by young and old, I remember from previous visits. Fortunately the long division was done  for me, as it was expertly cut into 43 pieces ( a puzzling number I thought!) 

On then to school where I was greeted by staff all in identical saris and by a beautiful peacock pattern chalked on the ground, today being Peacok festival day. 


Whilst I’ve been here I’ve joked often with the teachers that they all seem to be wearing the same colours and I asked if they called each other in the morning to let each other know what today’s team colour was. In response to this Rani, Priya and Indra went to Guddiyatum over the weekend and bought identical saris for all five of them, plus a metre each of material for the sari blouse, which was sewn into blouses by the local tailor. I was so amazed and thought they looked beautiful! 


I then had lunch, watched by them all, and then they had theirs together. After lunch a photographer - local man whose daughter used to attend school- came to take a class photo with me in it. Subsequently Andy was photoshopped into it since he was missing for the photo! 


All that remained then was for me to distribute cake to the elderly and the children then for me - after promises to Rani and Priya that I would do my very best to ensure they get their annual bonuses plus an annual increment- to bid them all goodbye with hopes and 🤞🏼🤞🏼🙏🏻🙏🏻 that I’d be back next year. 

From school then to the home of Umma and family. Regular readers will remember that this is the family who were the inspiration behind The One Candle Fund. Originally there were the  two teenage schoolgirl daughters who cried as they told Pam that they would have to leave school early because their father had died so their mother was struggling with her family of three daughters. 

All those daughters are married now with children. Umma the oldest earns a living sewing at home. Her two teenage boys are doing well at school. The next daughter Veejaya Kumari is a nurse at a local government hospital. She is married to Suresh ( theirs was a love marriage)  who still works in the week in Chennai. Their daughter is now 8 and seems a live wire, confident girl, doing well at school of course! The youngest daughter Veejaya Lakshmi is married and living in Chennai and has a six year old daughter. 




It was fortunate that Suresh was working from home so we were able to have the usual lively chat with him. They showed me plans and a photo of the foundations of a lovely new house which is being constructed just round the corner. I was pleased to hear later from Balaji that he will be doing plumbing and electrics in the house. Some decent money in the offing for Balaji is very welcome. Suresh, Veejaya and daughter and mum Santi will be living there. This family have done well for themselves from very ordinary village roots, by studying hard and being very determined. They -as always- were keen to give thanks to Pam and the One Candle Fund which they really believe made all the difference to their family. 

On next to the lovely house which Raghu had built for his family, just round the corner from Suresh and co. I was delighted to find Raghu’s wife Janini in residence with their two year old daughter. Sister in law, mum and dad all appeared and coffee was rustled up for me. I’d had a delicious helping of payassam at Suresh’s place, inevitably, but very filling after my large lunch at Pachaikili! Mercifully just a coffee was allowed at Raghu’s place. 


Suresh with Raghu’s baby. So common here to see men showing affection to the family children at least as often as the women doing the same. 

Raghu’s dad with his granddaughter 




We video called him at his home in Adelaide Australia whilst I was there. For many years from when Pam first met Raghu as a schoolboy who studied English in his own time, at night time, it has been his dream to be able to get work and migrate to Australia. Now he’s there, has a good job he enjoys, and has a home to which his wife and daughter will come next month. Raghu will come back to his Indian home in February when Janini’s sister will be married in Chennai, and afterwards the family will travel to their new life in Adelaide. It is amazing to have been able to watch this family and Suresh and Santi’s grow and develop and move towards fulfilling their dreams and hopes..

My farewell tour of Seetarampet concluded then at Balaji’s home ( one more small portion of payassam..) One last cuddle with baby Sally, hugs from everyone else and the fervent wish and  hope repeated that we will return next year. I do hope so.. 

January 23rd 

A quiet day before our long flight through the night. I paid our bills and went to have a talk with Dr Biswajit in which he promised to ensure the school staff get their increments this year and regularly annually. He will also make sure the school equipment is renewed to a good standard. Here’s hoping for that! 




No comments:

Post a Comment